A recent article in Mother Earth News featured Q&A with several modern homesteaders. The interviews featured Harvey Ussery, author of a great book on chicken raising, and Deborah Niemann-Boehle (http://www.homegrown.org/), author of the new title Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living.
Some great points from the article:
- There are various reasons for homesteading (“our desperate search for a decent tomato”)
- Homesteading is not an all-or-nothing enterprise.
- Having a self-reliant community is important.
- Learn from mistakes
- Work with nature.
- Observation is important.
- Much practical knowledge has been lost in the last century; question modern notions of agriculture.
- Learn to accept death.
Happy reading! It’s a great article!