Today Home to Roost, LLC, assisted the Cook County Sheriff’s Office with moving 30 hens into the Cook County Jail. Home to Roost consulted with the Sheriff’s Office to assist in selecting birds, designing a coop, and creating a chicken-keeping program for Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart. The lovely chickens and supplies were supplied by Belmont Feed and Seed.
The goals of the program are
- Create marketable products (eggs, coops) for CCSO;
- Provide inmates with marketable skills/experience (animal husbandry, carpentry, management);
- Provide inmates with discipline, respect for nature;
- Implement a “green,” ecofriendly program at CCSO; and
- Integrate with existing gardening program.
Home to Roost is very happy to participate in this project!